Monday, January 7, 2008

VI. 1/7/08

Crispy's right foot perculated in the pedicure tub while his baster-leg combo rested on the magazine rack. "Givin' the whole Alpha Team off was a good ideer. Tha' Chief's got a soft spot yet."

"He's nervous about the ratings. They come out at 4:00." Grimironie looked at her feet in the bubbling, blue water. It had been too long since her last pedicure; her pinky-toes were shaped like wedges from her favorite Death Chicken killin' boots. "It's a good thing Death Chickens aren't nocturnal," she added, glad to relax.

"Why ya look so sour?"

"Me?" she laughed, "I'm sweet and sour." Crispy barked a hoarse laugh. They chatted happliy about cuticles as the pedicurists finished their work. When they got up to pay, Crispy looked over her shoulder with an odd expression that didn't suit him. She turned to follow his gaze; Billy-Ray MacHaggis III walked out of the waxing and tanning station. He waved and Crispy waved back.

"What are you doing?" Grimironie whispered through clenched teeth.

"'Es not so bad once you get to know 'em." Crispy had lost his mind.

"Hey there, two legends," Billy-Ray grinned as he walked to meet them. "How about joining me for an early dinner" He winked and added, "or an afternoon tea? I never got my chance to apologize to you, Ms. Von Farmer." Grimironie stared in disbelief. Crispy gave her a jab in the back.

"You kids go on. I'm stayin' for a facial -getting my metro-sexy on." Crispy stomped back to the hostess desk. Grimironie's feet felt so soft and comfortable in her complimentary flip-flops that she followed Billy-Ray out onto the sidewalk.

~FACT: Women may be in a good mood after a pedicure, and susceptible to forgiveness.

They headed for the off-the-beaten-track restaurant district, and Grimironie felt relieved. She didn't want any co-workers to see her with Billy-Ray MacHaggis III. Those coffee drinkers would never let her live it down. It had been ages since she'd been in Sebby's Bar and Eggplant Grill. The sparkly ambience reminded her of another time in her life, a time when she was young and trusting. "Strike that," she thought, "when I was younger and trusting, young-ER." They ordered a round of neurofizzes. She was still unsure of how to act toward Billy-Ray MacHaggis III.

"It was my fault," he started, "I was too eager and excited. You're the reason I lobbied for this position, and it wasn't an easy ride." Billy-Ray unbuttoned an extra button on his white, silk shirt before continuing. "You're a legend in the academy. I wanted to impress you."

"Giblets" Grimironie said.

"Scorn me if you like," he let out a deep breath. "I probably deserve it."

"I don't know you and don't know what you deserve, but I do know what can happen when a when a DCDA gets reckless." She swilled her neurofizz. "Look: I'm no legend, so get that out of your head, MacHaggis."

"Call me Three, please." He leaned forward quickly. "You don't understand! I want to get inside your head! I want to run my toes through your synapses and fondle your adrenal glands! I want to know what makes you tick, you sullen little vixen!"

Grimironie was shocked, flattered and embarassed. She didn't believe that she would ever share her past with this wild-eyed, yet devilishly handsome upstart. "Adrenal glands aren't in the head; they're above the kidneys." was the best answer she could offer.

He nodded slowly, "Even better."

She eased up on him a bit, and got him talking about himself and his time at the academy. By the time they finished their after-dinner biscuits, she actually felt sorry that the meal was ending. It was a pleasant change to hear an enthusiastic perspective on Death Chicken acquisition. Before he could ask her to talk about herself, she thanked him for dinner and caught a cab back home.

Morbid fascination and fear prompted her to turn on Death Chicken Watch to see the first episode at her precinct. She breathed easier afterwards. She had only been in the background brielfy in the episode, but next time she might not be so lucky.

No comments: